Wednesday, July 22, 2009

What Lessons




The picture above is of the OnLeaf River in Covington County, Mississippi. It is where my ancestors (on my dad's side) lived as slaves and even for a while after they were released from slavery. I chose the picture for this blog because of the peaceful feeling I got when I visited and the feeling I hope to get every time I visit.

OK, you all know that every now and then I have to give a lesson to you, right? Well here you go:

I got a text from my friend, Jazmine. She says, Johnny wants to know if he can borrow my laptop for a Bible Study group he has on Tuesdays.

Whoa!!!!! What?!?! WOW!!!! MY LAPTOP?!?!?!? Heck nah! I have some very valuable and PERSONAL things on my laptop. I said all of that to her in my text. Now, Jazzy is my good friend, so I'm feeling bad for telling HER no, but then again, I wasn't telling her no, I was telling her to tell Johnny no. So as time goes on, I began wondering what possessed someone to even think about asking to borrow MY laptop. I also wondered who loans out their laptop anyway. That's crazy in my opinion. But as I thought, I wondered if there may have been someone that was going to be at the group meeting that may have needed the lesson that night. What if there was someone that needed some type of hope and because they didn't have a laptop to show the PowerPoint, this person wouldn't be able to get whatever it is that they needed at that time. See, they had a laptop for the Bible lessons, but it broke (another reason I didn't want them to use mine), so its not like they just decided to have the group and ask someone for a laptop; things happened.

So, I called Johnny and told him, "1st of all, I don't loan out my laptop, but if all you need is a means to show a PowerPoint presentation that you have on a flash drive, not only will I let you use my laptop, but I will also operate it for you." Johnny agreed and said to meet him at 7pm. Cool.

So I'm at the home relaxing, because I know I have about an hour before I need to meet Johnny. The next thing I know, I am being told that my neighbor across the street wants to see me. OMG. Why? I barely talk to my neighbors so I am shocked to know someone is requesting to see me. Now I have to stop playing Madden 09, put some clothes on, and go across the street to see what this guy wants. Now mind you, as I'm getting dressed and heading over, I'm already going through my mind that this guy had a stroke a few years ago and I heard he can't talk. Now that should let you know I have no dealings with him because like I said, I HEARD he can't talk. I get across the street and he's on his porch, then the rain starts coming down. I'm standing in the rain and this guy is pointing, mumbling, grunting and moving. All he can say is Yeah, Nah, and OK. OMG! OMG! OOOOOMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGG!!!!!!

After 10 minutes of standing in the rain, and playing charades, I figured out that Mr. Johnson wants me to take him somewhere. Where? I have NO IDEA, but I know now that he needs a ride. So I go get the car keys, drive over to his house, get him in the car and hes pointing his was to where he wants to go. The Family Dollar store up the street. Fine. I decide that I'll stay in the car while he goes in. Plus, those of you that know me know that I'm hoping that he has money because I am not about to volunteer mine. Nah, I can't do that. He can only use one hand and with that hand he holds his cane. Remember, he had a stroke. So I go in the store, still hoping he has his own cash. Now here I am thinking he is about to do some shopping. Instead, this man wants a bag of chips and a bottle of juice. SMH But boy did I smile when I saw him pull out his own money. Yes!

Time to go home? No. Now he's pointing toward the opposite direction. The fish market. I had to figure out that he wants a haddock sandwich with batter, no cornmeal. OK! The people that worked in the fish market were having such a difficult time figuring out what the two of us were going through.

I finally got Mr. J home and in the house. This all took about an hour. But the good thing is while I was at the Family Dollar, I received a text saying that Johnny's meeting was canceled.

I share this day of mine with you to say this: Don't complain. When you're afforded the opportunity to help someone, do it. You NEVER know if or when you will be able to do it again. I have, as most of you know, been trying to work on my patience, and I believe the Mr. Johnson situation was a way to start my journey to where I want to be. It was a classic lesson. The rain was pouring and I was standing in it. But I didn't complain. I couldn't complain. I did what I was asked to do and feel good about it.

Be blessed, spread love, and BUY MY ALBUM!

No comments: